Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 2 pounds U-12 sized whole wild caught shrimp
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1 English cucumber, halved, seeded and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons toasted rice powder
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, or more to taste
- 2 stems of lemon grass, trimmed, cleaned and sliced very thin
- 6 Thai red chiles, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves,
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and julienned
- Butter lettuce leaves for garnish
Spicy Thai Shrimp Salad
This fragrant, fresh Thai shrimp salad hits the spot any time of year. If you can find them at your local Asian market, small Thai eggplant make a superb addition.
SERVINGS: 4 to 6
Rinse shrimp and plunge in boiling salted water for a few minutes, do not overcook. Rinse under cold water to stop cooking process. Peel shrimp leaving head attached, remove central vein. Reserve.
Combine the liquid seasonings, chiles, garlic and sugar.
Lay the romaine lettuce leaves on an oversize platter.
Toss remaining ingredients together, combine with liquid seasoning in a large bowl.
Mound salad over the lettuce and dip the shrimp in liquids at bottom of the bowl. Lay shrimp on top of salad and pour liquids over the top.
Serve with sticky rice and peanut dipping sauce.
Photograph by Adrian Danciu.
Powered by Facebook Comments