By Andrew Zimmern
Thai basil makes this easy weeknight chicken stir fry sing. Garnish with cashews, black sesame and cilantro for a perfect, craveable meal.
Chicken & Thai Basil Stir Fry
- 2 or 3 Serrano or red Fresno chiles, chopped
- 1 golf ball sized piece of ginger, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 3 tablespoons toasted rapeseed oil (Chinese toasted canola oil)
- Several sliced shallots
- 1 large fistful Thai basil leaves
- Garnish: cilantro sprigs, lime wedges, black sesame seeds, toasted cashews
- Cooked rice, for serving
Combine the peppers, ginger, garlic, oyster sauce, sugar, fish sauce, salt, and peanut oil in a blender. Combine marinade and chicken in a work bowl and toss. Refrigerate for an hour or two.
Place the toasted rapeseed oil in a large seasoned skillet over high heat. When oil smokes add the shallots and chicken. Leave any marinade behind. Cook for a few minutes to cook through, it shouldn’t take long. Pull pan from the heat and toss the basil in… plate over rice bowls, garnishing as you like, see tips above.