Green & Black Chickpea Chaat
By Floyd Cardoz, chef/owner of Paowalla in New York City
Paowalla's Green & Black Chickpea Chaat
- 3 cups cooked black chickpeas
- 1 cup white onions, finely diced
- 1/2 cup red radishes, diced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chat masala (MDH brand)
- 1 cup cilantro, chiffonade
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon serrano chiles, minced
- 3 cups green chickpeas
- 1/3 cup tamarind chutney
- 2 cups fine sev
In a large bowl combine the cooked black chickpeas, onions, radishes, ginger, shallots, lime juice, chat masala, cilantro, salt and sugar. Mix well.
Heat a saute pan over moderate heat, add the olive oil and heat until it shimmers. Add the mustard seeds, cumin and serrano chiles, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the fresh green chickpeas and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the chickpeas to the bowl with the other ingredients and mix well.
Spread the tamarind chutney on the base of a large platter. Spoon the mixed chickpeas over the tamarind chutney. Top with sev and serve immediately.
• Paowalla’s Pan-Fried Black Pepper Shrimp
• Floyd Cardoz Cooks Corn & Crab Stir-Fry
• Floyd Cardoz’s Flank Steak with Thai Salad