A Hearty Holiday Dish
Stuffed Cabbage with Veal, Currants & Pistachios
For the Filling:
- 3 pounds ground veal
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups matzoh meal or bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 minced onion
- 1 pound cooked chopped spinach, drained very, very well
- 3 large heads Savoy cabbage, cleaned, leaves blanched and cooled
For the Sauce:
- 24 ounces diced tomatoes in juice
- 4 tablespoons minced preserved lemons
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 minced shallots
- 6 basil leaves
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 pinches chile flakes
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon ground celery seed
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons butter
The cabbage rolls:
Wash the leaves from 3 large heads of Savoy cabbage. Once cleaned, blanch and let cool.
Combine all the ingredients except the cabbage in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Roll 3 ounces of this stuffing mixture into the cabbage leaves, ‘burrito style’. Place all the rolls 1/2 inch apart into 2 oven proof dishes. Reserve.
Place the butter in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the shallots, lemon, garlic, carrots, saffron and saute until glassy.
Add the wine and simmer. Reduce by half.
Add the herbs, spices and tomato with the juices. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until almost dry.
Divide over the cabbage rolls and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. After the cabbage rolls have baked for one hour, uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.