Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 2 pounds cleaned frogs legs
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup corn starch
- 4 cups peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil reserved from the 4 cups
- 12 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 golf ball sized piece of fresh ginger cut into thin needles
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 dried red chiles
Fu-Xian Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup thinly shaved shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced red and green hot Asian chiles
- 1/3 cup natural soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cold chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons Mirin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
A Tasty Alternative
Servings: 6-8 persons as an appetizer
Combine all of the ingredients for the dipping sauce in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
Toss frogs’ legs with kosher salt and let sit for 15 minutes. Press in a dry towel to remove moisture.
Heat peanut oil in a wok over high heat to 375 degrees.
Dip frog in egg whites, then dredge in corn starch.
Fry to crisp in several batches, reserving frog to a paper towel.
Tip off the oil, (strain and let cool, reserving for another use) leaving 2 tablespoons behind. Increase the heat to high.
When smoking, add the scallions, ginger, dried chiles and swirl the wok. Add the frog back to the wok.
Toss a few times, adding the salt, pepper and sugar in thirds as you rotate the food across the wok surface.
Toss and serve with Fu-Xian dipping sauce.
For more recipes from my Kitchen Memories demo at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival, click here.
Powered by Facebook Comments