Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 cup carnation evaporated milk
- 2 shallots, diced
- 4 slices galanga root (or ginger)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 lemongrass stalk, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 limes worth of fresh lime juice
- 10 mushrooms halved
- 15-20 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon tom yum paste +/- to taste (found in most Asian groceries)
- 1 tablespoon chile paste
- 1 cup dried chiles
- 2 cups (10-15) of medium or large shrimp
Hot & Sour Thai Soup
Nok recently started a small catering business with her husband Chuck in St. Paul, preparing authentic Thai dishes such as this Tom Yum Goong, a traditional recipe she grew up cooking in Thailand with her father. It’s easy to make, yet the flavors are deeply complex.
Bring the water to a boil in a large stock pot. Add the lemongrass, galanga root, lime leaves and shallots.
Add the Tom Yum paste, and stir to incorporate.
Add the mushrooms, then the chili paste, fish sauce.
Next, add the shrimp, and stir. Pour in the evaporated milk and lime juice.
Let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes.
Add the fresh cilantro, tomatoes and dried chiles. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, and serve.
Watch Nok make this soup.
Powered by Facebook Comments