Asparagus is one of my favorite foods, so I give you this superb and simple way to use this amazing vegetable in your kitchen.
Wok-Tossed Asparagus in Black Bean Sauce
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1 tablespoon Chinese black beans, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 dried hot red chiles
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 pound thin asparagus, cut on the diagonal into 1-inch lengths
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, plus more for garnish
- Toasted sesame oil, for drizzling
In a small bowl, whisk the sake with the black beans. Heat a wok or large skillet. Add the peanut oil and heat until small puffs of smoke appear around the edge. Add the ginger, sugar, chiles and garlic and stir-fry over high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the asparagus and stir-fry until bright green, about 2 minutes. Add the sake mixture and stir-fry until the asparagus are crisp-tender and the sauce has reduced to a glaze, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the scallions and 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds and season with salt. Transfer the asparagus to a platter, drizzle with the sesame oil and serve.