This simple dinner is deceptively complex.
You can have dinner on the table in 15 minutes and the flavors are crazy good. My family and I love Mexican food—it’s one of the world’s truly great cuisines. This dish is often seen in the Yucatán, in Veracruz and in-and-around oceanfront communities, but for any indefatigable travelers who need to see it up close in its own milieu, head to Huatulco and to the little restaurant called El Marinero. Drop my name. Who knows? They might make it for you. For everyone else, this version is the real deal.
Shrimp with Green Chiles & Avocado-Tomatillo Sauce
For the Avocado-Tomatillo Sauce:
- 1/2 pound tomatillos—husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large serrano chile, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1 Hass avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
For the Shrimp:
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 8 garlic cloves, halved and very thinly sliced
- 6 jalapeños, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Warm corn tortillas, for serving
- Diced tomatoes, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Cilantro leaves, for serving
Make the Sauce
In a food processor, puree the tomatillos with the onion, serrano, garlic and cilantro. Scoop the avocado into the food processor, add the lime juice and puree. Season with salt and transfer to a serving bowl.
Prepare the Shrimp
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Add the jalapeños and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add the shrimp, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the mayonnaise.
Serve the shrimp with tortillas, tomatoes, lime wedges,cilantro leaves and the avocado-tomatillo sauce.