Easy Sausage and Peppers
This amazing sausage and pepper tagine can be served with toast as a sandwich, over pasta, with risotto or on its own. You can also replace the cherry tomatoes with 8 cups crushed tomatoes, then simmer in the oven covered for an hour, to make a superb sausage tomato sauce.
Sausage & Pepper Tagine
- 3 pounds Italian sausage links
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 2 poblano peppers, seeds and stems removed, then cut in half
- 2 whole dry hot chiles, Calabrian chiles are perfect but most will work well
- 1 bulb fresh fennel, quartered
- Bouquet garni of several sprigs each fresh rosemary, thyme, parsley, basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1 small handful dried plums
- 1/4 cup well toasted pine nuts
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Using a diffuser, place tagine over medium-low heat on the stove. Add the oil and brown the sausages. Reserve to a plate.
Add onions, peppers, chiles, fennel and bouquet garni. Caramelize the vegetables as you turn the heat up a bit.
Add sausages and garlic to the pot, stir. Add wine, tomatoes and plums. Place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Remove pot, season with salt and garnish with pine nuts and a few fennel fronds.
Photograph by Steve Henke.