Seasonal Vegetable Mash
This holiday season, switch up your typical mashed potato side dish with this flavorful, rich root vegetable puree.
Root Vegetable Puree
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 1 pound rutabaga
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cream, or more to taste
Peel the potatoes and vegetables. Cut the potatoes into quarters. Cut the carrots into 1 inch lengths. Cube the rutabaga into 1/2 inch cubes.
Cook the potatoes and vegetables in separate batches in rapidly boiling salted water for 10 to 15 minutes each, or until tender.
Drain the vegetables and pass through a ricer (or pulse in a food processor). Rice the potatoes and add to the vegetable mix. Season with the butter and cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Photograph by Madeleine Hill.
• Root Vegetable Pan Roast with Brown Butter
• Mashed Potatoes with Creme Fraiche
• Root Vegetable Salad with Orange Tarragon Vinaigrette