Fiery Chipotle Wings
Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce give these crispy fried chicken wings a smoky, spicy kick.
Fried Chipotle Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds fresh, bone-in chicken wings
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chipotles in adobo, pureed
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1/3 cup Mexican cotija cheese, crumbled or grated
Discard wing tips and cut drummie and middle sections apart. Season with salt.
Heat oil to 375 degrees F in a deep Dutch oven or wok. Fry the chicken wings in batches until crispy and cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Let the wings drain on a paper towel, then transfer to a bowl and season with salt and fresh thyme.
Whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, pureed chipotles in adobo and hot sauce in a large bowl.
Place the seasoned wings in the bowl with the chipotle sauce, and toss to coat evenly.
Spill out wings onto a large platter and sprinkle with grated Mexican Cotija cheese. Serve immediately.