Thai-Style Pig Brains Grilled in Banana Leaf
By Andy Ricker
Andy Ricker’s Aep Samong Muu
- 1 tub (one pound) Pig brains
- 3 tablespoons Kaffir lime leaves, chiffonade
- 1/4 cup rough chopped cilantro, tops and stems
- 1/4 cup of quarter-inch chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup cup red curry paste
- Black pepper
- Banana leaves to serve
Wash brains in cold water. Drain.
Mix curry paste, brains, herbs together in bowl by hand, season with salt and pepper.
Clean banana leaves and cut/tear into pieces about 8” by 12” with the grain of the fibers. Pass the pieces over a burner a few times to soften. Arrange 2 pieces, one on top of the other. Put about 1 cup of brain mixture in center and form purse with leaves. Secure with a 6” bamboo skewer.
Grill over low charcoal fire for about 20 to 30 minutes until cooked through and leaves are slightly charred. Open packet and serve on leaf it was cooked in.