Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 2 ancho chiles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 Serrano chiles, finely minced
- Sea salt
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 pounds fresh tuna, free of connective tissue and skin
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups hearts of palm, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed well and drained
- Fresh mint and cilantro, for garnish
- 1 baguette
- Olive oil, for drizzling
Cebiche a Tonno
This flavor-packed ceviche pairs fresh tuna with a spicy ancho chile paste, salty capers, tart lemon and fresh herbs. The beauty of ceviche is that it gives a cook plenty of leeway to experiment with their food, so feel free to add your own twist.
SERVINGS: 8 AS AN APPETIZER
Rehydrate the dried ancho chiles in hot water for 25 minutes. Once the chiles are soft, remove the seeds and stems and coarsely chop. Fry the ancho peppers briefly in the vegetable oil.
Place ancho chiles, serranos, sea salt and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in a mortar and pestle and grind by hand into a paste.
Dice tuna into cubes. In a large bowl, combine the tuna, chile paste mixture, remaining lemon juice and zest, onion, olive oil, diced tomatoes, celery, hearts of palm and capers. Let rest, refrigerated for 20 minutes.
Slice a baguette. Drizzle baguette slices with olive oil. Using a preheated grill pan, grill the bread slices (you can also do it under the broiler). Serve with the tuna ceviche.
Photographs by Madeleine Hill.
Like this recipe? You may also enjoy:
Powered by Facebook Comments