Replace the Casserole
These green beans are a great replacement for Grandma’s traditional casserole with canned cream of mushroom soup. Variety really is the spice of life.
Steamed Green Beans with Toasted Almond-Mushroom Pesto
- 2 pounds green beans, tipped and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
- 12 ounces stemmed and sliced mushrooms (cremini and shiitake are a nice mix for this dish)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoons fresh tarragon
- 1 cup toasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Sea salt and white pepper to taste
- Toasted almonds for garnish (optional)
Place 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large no-stick skillet. Saute the onion, garlic and mushrooms until lightly browned.
Pull from heat. Add the tarragon and cool for 5 minutes.
Pulse puree the mushroom mixture in the food processor, being careful not to overmix. Add the almonds, lemon juice and soy sauce and pulse to combine. Reserve to a work bowl.
Steam the beans until crisp tender and reserve.
Right before serving, place the no-stick pan on high heat. Add the 2 teaspoons of oil, and add the beans, tossing until heated through. Add the mushroom mixture and toss to combine.
Cook for a few minutes and serve, seasoning with sea salt, ground white pepper and toasted almond slices.
Photograph by Madeleine Hill.