Michael White’s Calabrese Pizza
- 1 10 oz. ball of store bought pizza dough
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 oz. Italian sausage (with fennel), broken up into small pieces
- 1 cup homemade tomato sauce, or store-bought
- 3 oz. whole milk mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 oz. pepperoni, sliced
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, to serve
- Freshly chopped parsley, to serve
Allow the dough to rest out of the refrigerator for up to two hours so the glutens can relax. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F. On a well-floured work service, lightly roll out the dough, rotating until about ¼ inch thick. Lightly brush a cookie sheet with olive oil. Place dough onto cookie sheet and pinch into the corners. Trim the tray of any excess dough that drapes over the edges. Blind bake the dough for 5-6, no color, just until the dough sets.
Pour EVOO in small bowl. Smash two cloves of garlic and add to oil. Allow to infuse for 30 minutes.
Using the back of a spoon or pastry brush, spread garlic oil onto rolled out doll. Evenly distribute the sausage onto the dough, followed by the mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, pepperoni and red onion.
Bake the pizza for an additional 6 to 8 minutes, or until the dough begins to pull away from the edges. Remove from the oven. Top with grated parmigiano, chopped parsley and extra virgin olive oil for garnish. Serve.
Photo by Noah Fecks.