Easy Savory Hand Pies
These individual curried lamb hand pies are easy to throw together for a fun weeknight dinner.
Curried Lamb Hand Pies
- 1 sheet puff pastry, rolled and cut into four 7-inch circles
- 1/2 pound coarsely ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- 2 tablespoons sliced toasted almonds
- 1 egg
Defrost the puff pastry. On a floured work surface, roll out puff pastry just big enough for 4 7-inch circles. Cut out circles, layer with parchment and refrigerate while making filling.
To make filling, heat pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. Add lamb and brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add red bell pepper, onion, celery and garlic; stir to combine.
Combine seasonings and flour in small bowl; sprinkle over mixture in pan. Cook 3 to 4 minutes to soften vegetables. Stir in tomato paste and water; cook until evaporated. Stir in raisins and almonds. Let cool.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Remove puff pastry circles from the fridge. Divide filling evenly between the four circles. Fold circle in half, into a half moon shape. Using the tines of a fork, gently seal the edge together. Beat egg and brush on the tops of each hand pie.
Bake on parchment lined baking sheet. Turn oven to 375 after putting pies in oven. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Photograph by Madeleine Hill.
• Fried Apple Hand Pies
• Shepherd’s Pie
• Oxtails with Bread Dumplings