By Andrew Zimmern
Charred Lamb Tonnato with Mint Salad
- 16-24 ounces of boneless leg of lamb, cut in 1.5” squares
- Olive oil
- Fresh rosemary and thyme
The Tonnato Sauce
- One 6-ounce jar Italian oil-packed tuna, well drained
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 shallot (sliced)
- 1 hot chile (sliced)
- 1 thinly sliced Persian cucumber
- chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or more to taste.
Marinate the lamb in some oil seasoned with rosemary, thyme and garlic. Grill/char, I typically char one side and let rest. Feel free to do 2 sides and go to medium rare.
Let rest for 20 minutes. Serve, sliced, in bowls, over the tonnato sauce, with the mint salad on top.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the tuna with the anchovies, capers and lemon juice and process until finely chopped. Add the oil and mayonnaise and process until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper. Scrape the sauce into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
Combine everything in a small bowl. Make this right before serving while the lamb rests and the tonnato chills.