By Andrew Zimmern
Collard Greens with Honey Potlikker Recipe
- 1 pound meaty smoked ham hocks
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 quarts rich chicken broth
- 3 pounds collard greens, woody stems trimmed/stripped and leaves torn
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, plus more for seasoning at end
- 1/4 cup honey
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, place the ham hocks, onions, garlic and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook at a bare simmer for 2 hours. Remove ham hocks from liquid and pull bones from meaty and fatty parts tossing the bones and connective tissue. Chop up the ham meat and return it to pot.
Simmer the liquid. Add the greens, in batches, to wilt in the pot. Simmer for about 45 minutes. Season with vinegar, honey, freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste. Serve scooping greens from the pot, and spooning some of the potlikker into bowls.