Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 30 tomatillos, dry-roasted
- 1 poblano chile, dry-roasted
- 4 serrano chiles, dry-roasted
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (coriander), plus extra to serve
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 12 Corn Tortillas, cut into squares or triangles
- 1 large cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- sea salt
- 1/2 cup (4 fl oz/120ml) sour cream, plus extra to serve
- 1 3/4 cups (7oz/200g) grated queso fresco or feta cheese, plus extra to serve
Green Chilaquiles with Chicken
By Margarita Carrillo Arronte
Recipe adapted from MEXICO: THE COOKBOOK by Margarita Carrillo Arronte.
REGION: ALL REGIONS
PREPARATION TIME: 25 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 20-25 MINUTES
Put the tomatillos, chiles, onion, garlic, and cilantro (coriander) into a food processor or blender and process until thoroughly combined. Strain into a bowl.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan and add the tomatillo sauce. Simmer for 10–15 minutes, until thick. Add salt to taste.
Heat the remaining oil in a heavy frying pan or skillet. Add the tortilla pieces and cook over a medium heat, turning occasionally, until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C/Gas Mark 6). Put the tortilla pieces into an ovenproof dish and add the tomatillo sauce. Gently stir to coat all the fried tortilla pieces. Top with the chicken and onion slices. Pour the sour cream over the top, sprinkle with the cheese, and bake for 10 minutes. Top with cilantro (coriander) and serve.
Note: Chilaquiles can be served with beans and chicken, beef, or fried eggs.
Photography by Fiamma Piacentini-Huff.
Powered by Facebook Comments