Crisp Butter Lettuce & Shaved Fennel Salad
This crisp, refreshing salad with its bright, lemony flavor will cut through the rich holiday dishes and wake up your palate.
Butter Lettuce & Shaved Fennel Salad
- 1 large head butter lettuce, separated into leaves
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and shaved as thinly as possible on a mandoline or with a sharp knife
- 1 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted
- 1 head Belgian endive, leaves separated
- 4 ounces Manchego cheese, grated on the largest holes on a box grater
- 1/2 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, fennel, olives, endive, Manchego, and tarragon and set aside. To make the dressing, put the lemon juice in a small bowl. Slowly whisk the olive oil into the lemon juice to form an emulsion. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat evenly.
Photograph and recipe courtesy of Macy’s Culinary Council.