Spinach Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette
- 4 bacon slices, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6-8 cups fresh spinach
- 2 large eggs, hard boiled and peeled
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion, for garnish
- 2 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat is rendered, about 7 minutes. Spoon off all but 1 or 2 tablespoons of the fat. Bacon should be crisping by this point.
Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the brown sugar, sherry vinegar, white vinegar, and mustard, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Whisk in the olive oil. Reserve.
Place the greens in a large salad bowl. Top with some sliced egg, red onion and drizzle with the bacon vinaigrette. Garnish with the herbs. Serve right away passing the pepper grinder at the table.