By Andrew Zimmern
Simple Seafood Boil
- 3 quarts water, boiling, seasoned with salt
- 2 lemons, halved
- 3 onions, peeled and halved
- 1 habanero chile, halved
- 1t cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup of your favorite Cajun Seasoning
- 1 garlic head, halved
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Handful of new potatoes
- 2 ears yellow corn, cut in 2-3 inch pieces
- 1 pound clams
- 1 pound andouille or polish sausage, cut in 2” pieces
- 1 pound large shrimp (I use 12-15 count) shell on, deveined
Squeeze the lemons into the boiling water and add the halves, onions, habanero, cayenne, Cajun seasoning, garlic, and bay leaves. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes corn, and cover, lowering the heat to simmer for 12 minutes. Add the clams and sausage. Cover again and return to a low boil. When water is moving well again, remove the lid and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add the shrimp, stir, cover with a lid and turn off heat. Let pot sit for 10-12 minutes.
Using a spider wand, remove all the solid ingredients serving on platters or newspaper.
Serve with the butter for dipping.
I make a sauce with melted butter, Crystal hot Sauce, Worcestershire sauce, minced fresh herbs, lemon and Cajun seasoning or Old Bay, all to taste… I pulse in the blender and serve with the boil.