Seared Salmon & Vegetable Ragout with Sour Cream & Dill
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 beets, diced
- 1 leek, diced
- 1 rutabaga, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 3 tablespoons juniper berries
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 6 basil leaves
- 2 sprigs oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 16 ounces chopped tomatoes, drained, liquid discarded
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Sugar to taste
- 1 filet of salmon, pin bones removed, trimmed and portioned into 8 pieces
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 ounces fresh salmon caviar (optional)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 bunch dill, minced
Melt the butter in a large pot and add the herbs, spices and vegetables. Cook until glassy and aromatic.
Add the tomatoes and wine, reduce over a simmer by 50%
Add the stock and reduce by 60%.
Season with the vinegar and sugar to taste. Reserve.
Sear the salmon over high heat in a large pan using the canola oil.
Portion the ragout into bowls, place salmon over the ragout, garnishing with the caviar, sour cream and dill.