These tangy and sweet pickled cherries are fabulous with pork, poultry, salumi, lamb, you name it.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound Bing cherries, pitted
In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients except the cherries and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Let cool completely, then add the cherries and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours. Refrigerate until ready to use. These are best day of.
Photograph by Madeleine Hill.