By Andrew Zimmern
I love pasta with LOTS of greens. It’s quick, easy and economical. I always have greens in my house and make this dish all the time. This is a delicious way to cook a healthy and nutritious weeknight dinner.
Mixed Greens Pasta
- 16 oz (dried weight) penne
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 Garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks
- 1 pound cleaned mixed mustard greens, radish greens, baby kale, escarole, peppery cress etc…
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup premium extra virgin olive oil
- Grated Pecorino Romano for passing at the table
In a very large pot over high heat boil some water, salt it well and cook your pasta to al dente, drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the water. Toss the pasta in a few tablespoons of oil in the colander. Return pot to heat.
Add the 1 cup of oil, garlic, chile flakes, zest and cook without scorching for a few minutes. Raise the heat and add the leeks, cook for a few minutes. Add the greens, cook stirring for 5 minutes. Add some salt and freshly ground white pepper. Add the final ½ cup of oil, the pasta, and stirring, heat the pasta through, adding some past water as needed.
Serve family style with plenty of grated parmesan Reggiano or pecorino Romano.