Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 2 slices bread, buttered and toasted
- Gruyere cheese, grated
- Leftover brisket, thinly sliced
- Onion gravy, left over from braising the brisket
- Tomato slices
- Pickled jalapeno slices
- Koolickles, sliced
- Russian dressing, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Heinz chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Several dashes hot sauce (I prefer Crystal)
My Ultimate Brisket Sandwich
Building the perfect sandwich is all about finding the right balance of flavor and texture. Brisket is a fatty, rich meat, so you need to add enough acidity and sweetness to create the best bite. With homemade pickled jalapenos, a pleasantly piquant Russian dressing, sweet and sour koolickles and a healthy dose of melted gruyere cheese, this is my late night snack attack meal of choice.
Thinly slice the brisket against the grain. Assemble the sandwich, topping the brisket with leftover onion gravy, tomato slices, pickled jalapenos, koolickle slices and gruyere cheese.
Melt the cheese with a blowtorch fitted with a Searzall or similar attachment. Top with Russian dressing and serve.
To make the Russian dressing—and yes, where I’m from, we use Russian dressing not Thousand Island—whisk together all of the ingredients until well combined. Season to taste and refrigerate until ready to use on the brisket sandwich.
Like this recipe? You may also enjoy these sandwiches:
Powered by Facebook Comments