Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 6 ‘osso buco’, select meaty center cut pieces…approximately 14-16 ounces a piece
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Flour for dredging
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 3 cups homemade veal or beef stock
- 2 medium sized fennel bulbs, trimmed
- 3 cups peeled and sliced carrots
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup cooked and cooled peas, or frozen
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented, freed of all connective tissue and filament
Veal Shank Osso Bucco with Fresh Orange Juice
These fabulous braised veal shanks are perfect for family dinners or entertaining. Be sure to keep some small forks or espresso spoons handy for extracting the delicate marrow from the bones.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Season the veal shanks with the salt and pepper and dredge with the flour. Place the olive oil in large pan over medium high heat and brown the veal. Reserve to a platter. Discard the fat from the pan.
Add the vinegar, scraping the pan, reduce by half. Add the stock and reduce by a third.
Return the veal to the pan, cover and braise in the oven for 1 hour.
Slice the fennel lengthwise into sixths. Uncover the veal, add the carrots, fennel and orange juice. Raise temperature to 400 and cook uncovered for another 45 minutes, basting as you go. The meat should be fork tender.
Reserve the meat and vegetables to a platter, return the pan to medium heat on your stove top and reduce liquids to sauce consistency. Stir in the peas, season and serve over the shanks. Garnish with the orange sections.
Photograph by Madeleine Hill.
Like this recipe? You may also enjoy:
Powered by Facebook Comments