Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 12 doves, breasted, leg/thigh quarters reserved for another use.
- 1 quart rich poultry broth, well seasoned with salt and vegetable mirepoix
- 4 cups fine cut julienne of kale, spines removed of course
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons juice of Meyer lemon
- 1 cup thinly sliced red radish, fingertip radishes if you have them.
- 1/3 cup sliced peeled roasted red pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced olives (I like green Lugques best for this)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons mixed minced parsley, tarragon and mint
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Noble brand Pharaohs Heirloom Lemon Matured white wine vinegar (available from Mikuni)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, to garnish
- 1/4 cup aged reggiano parmesan ‘curls,’ to garnish
Cooking with Wild Birds
A wild bird recipe from my demo at the Austin Food & Wine Festival, perfect for a light, refreshing summer meal.
Toss the kale in the lemon juice and salt. Let sit for one hour.
Bring the broth to a strong simmer in a 3-quart pot. Slide the 24 dove breasts into the broth and cook for 3 minutes.
Remove from the broth and pile in the middle of the bowl with the kale.
Add the remaining ingredients one at a time, saving the oil and vinegar for the end. Garnish with the cheese and pine nuts. Season and serve, tossing at the table and serving with plenty of crusty bread.
Powered by Facebook Comments