Veal Stuffed Cabbage with Tomato & Preserved Lemon
- 2 1/2 pounds ground veal
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 minced onion
- 1 pound cooked chopped spinach, drained very, very well
- 2 heads Napa or savoy cabbage, cleaned, leaves blanched and cooled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 minced shallots
- 4 tablespoons minced preserved lemons
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 2 diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- 6 leaves basil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon ground celery seed
- 24 ounces diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the roll ingredients except the cabbage. Roll 3 ounces stuffing mixture into each cabbage leave, burrito style. Place all the rolls ½ inch apart into 2 oven proof dishes. Reserve.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the butter in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the shallots, lemon, garlic, carrots, saffron and saute until glassy.
Add the wine and simmer to reduce by half.
Add the harissa, basil, orange juice, celery seed and tomato with the juices. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Divide over the cabbage rolls and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes.
Garnish with the almonds, season and serve.