- 1 pound tuna trim, odds and ends without sinew or connective tissue
- 1/4 cup minced scallion
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted tomatoes (recipe here)
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 teaspoons chipotles in adobo, minced
- 3 anchovies, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cups peanut oil for frying
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- Toasts, for serving
- Butter lettuce, for serving
Hand chop the tuna, don’t pulverize it.
Add the scallion, tomatoes, chives, chipotle, anchovies and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
While cooling, place the oil in a small pot. Add the sliced shallots and place on low heat, cook until bubbling and glassy and slowly raise the temperature every 30-45 seconds until the oil gets hot and the shallots become toasty and browned. Scoop out and drain, sprinkle with salt.
Plate the tartare with some toasts and butter lettuce, garnish with the shallots.