Potato Leek Soup
This soup warms my bones and makes for one of my favorite lunches with salad and crusty bread.
Watch Andrew cook this recipe:
Potato Leek Soup with French Kiss Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb—halved, cored and chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons French Kiss seasoning
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- White pepper
TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the leek, onion, fennel, celery, shallot, thyme, garlic and French Kiss seasoning. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and just starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer over moderately low heat until the vegetables are very tender, about 40 minutes.
Add the cream to the saucepan and simmer over moderate heat until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes. Season the soup with salt and white pepper; discard the thyme sprig. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.