Potato Leek Soup
This soup warms my bones and makes for one of my favorite lunches with salad and crusty bread.
Watch Andrew cook this recipe:
Potato Leek Soup with Lemon & Shallot Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb—halved, cored and chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons Badia Lemon & Shallot seasoning (formerly called French Kiss)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- White pepper
TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the leek, onion, fennel, celery, shallot, thyme, garlic and Lemon & Shallot seasoning. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and just starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer over moderately low heat until the vegetables are very tender, about 40 minutes.
Add the cream to the saucepan and simmer over moderate heat until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes. Season the soup with salt and white pepper; discard the thyme sprig. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.