Adapted and interpreted from Luchow’s Cookbook
This recipe is from my demo at the Aspen Food & Wine Festival, Classic Lost NYC: A tribute to restaurants we’ve loved and lost.
Luchow’s Wiener Schnitzel
- 4 six ounce veal cutlets ( I like 6oz slices from the top round of the leg)
- 1 cup well seasoned flour
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 beaten XL egg
- 1 teaspoon minced parsley
- Sea salt and ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup whole milk or better, 1/3 cup whole milk plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
Wipe meat with damp cloth, pound very thin. Season with salt and white pepper.
Dip lightly in seasoned flour.
Mix cheese, 2 tablespoons of seasoned flour, egg, parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg and milk. Beat until smooth. Dip floured cutlets in this batter.
Cook over low heat in 4 tablespoons butter until golden and tender.
Remove cutlets to a warmed serving platter and keep hot.
Heat remaining butter until darkened, add lemon juice. Stir and pour over cutlets.
Serve with Braised Red Cabbage and Crispy Fingerling Potatoes with Onions.