By Andrew Zimmern
I already taught you how to make sweet auflauf pancakes with berries, but get ready to take it to the next level with this savory auflauf filled with melty gruyère cheese and country ham. Add your béchamel sauce and onions and watch it grow up the sides of the pan to form an incredible crêpe-y pancake beyond your wildest brunch dreams.
Ham & Cheese Auflauf
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces sliced or chopped country ham
- 1/4 cup bechamel sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- Cherry tomatoes, for garnish
- Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the milk, eggs, granulated sugar and salt.
Remove the skillet from the oven. Add the butter and swirl to melt, then pour in the batter. Top with country ham, bechamel sauce, onion and gruyere cheese. Return the skillet to the oven and bake the pancake until set and the edges are browned, about 14 minutes. Top with cherry tomatoes and thyme.