By Andrew Zimmern
Bananas Foster with Tropical Fruit
- Vanilla ice cream
- 12 pieces of shelled lychee
- 1/4 cup butter
- Several pinches salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced lengthwise and halved
- Several slices fresh ripe pineapple, cut in half moons
- 1 cup sliced or cubed fresh ripe mango
- 2 ounces aged Flor de Cana rum
Divide ice cream into 4 bowls, place 3 lychee in each bowl and place bowls in freezer or fridge.
Place butter, salt and brown sugar into a 12 to 14-inch sized skillet and cook for several minutes. Add the remaining fruit and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the rum, dipping the pan to the heat to flambe if you care to. Cook for a minute or so to allow sauce to come together.
Divide fruit and sauce over ice cream with a serving spoon.