By Andrew Zimmern
Bacon, Cabbage and Corned Beef Tacos
- 1 small head green cabbage
- 1 pound corned beef
- 6 slices bacon, chopped and cooked crisp
- 8 ounces shredded aged gruyere or swiss cheese
- Tortillas of your choice (I prefer corn tortillas from a local tortilleria)
The Salsa Verde
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 jalapenos or serranos, minced
- 1/2 pound tomatillos, husked, rinsed and quartered
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Char your cabbage by slow cooking in your fireplace or grill. I char the whole head in the coals in the fireplace, or suspend it in chicken wire inside the hearth. There is nothing so delicious as charred cabbage
Slice the corned beef and sear in a pan to heat through and create some nice texture.
Fill the tortillas with the corned beef, some cabbage, bacon, cheese and serve with the salsa.
Sometimes I heat the tortillas in a pan with some cheese on them so they’re ready to rock. Serve them at the table with limes and chile salt.
For the salsa:
Combine the garlic, salt, onion, chiles, tomatillos and cilantro in a mortar and pestle or in a food processor and combine to a chunky paste. Do not over puree.
Peel, seed and chop the avocado… fold into the sauce using a stiff whisk, and an up/down motion to mash the avocado, pouring in the lime juice as you go. Season well with sea salt.