Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 10 cups cubed everything bagels, from about 4 to 5 large bagels
- 10 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 8-ounce block cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 bunch of chives, minced for garnish
- For serving: Creme Fraiche, Smoked Salmon, Homemade Everything Bagel Spice
Everything Bagel & Egg Casserole
This recipe transforms the typical egg bake into a craveable dish inspired by the classic combination of everything bagels topped with cream cheese, onion, capers and smoked salmon. Bagels work well in a make ahead and soak overnight casserole because they don’t lose their chewy texture. Be sure to serve with smoked salmon, a dollop of creme fraiche and an extra sprinkle of homemade everything bagel spice.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the bagel cubes on a large sheet pan and toast in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Meanwhile, butter a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, red onion, capers, dill and cheddar. Season with salt and mix to combine. Stir in the toasted bagel cubes and pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Dot with the cream cheese cubes (pressing some down to submerge). Cover tightly with tin foil and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Let casserole sit at room temperature while the oven preheats. Place covered casserole in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the center is set.
Garnish with chives, and serve with crème fraiche, smoked salmon and a sprinkle of homemade everything bagel spice.
Like this recipe? You may also enjoy:
Powered by Facebook Comments