Super Snack Challenge
Super Bowl is one of my favorite days of the year and the biggest food day on our national calendar. This year, the Super Bowl is coming to my home state of Minnesota and what better way to get ready than to start thinking about all of the delicious snacks I’m going to prepare for friends and family. That’s why I’m excited to partner with the Minnesota Super Bowl Host Committee on the Super Snack Challenge.
We’re putting the call out to Minnesota kids ages 8 to 14 to show us their best, most creative, healthiest snacks to enjoy on game day. 52 kids will be chosen to come to the Kids Tailgate Party during Super Bowl week, where we’ll crown 3 Super Snack Challenge winners! Here’s more info and details on how to enter. I hope to see you Super Bowl week!
My Favorite Healthy Snacks for Kids
- 3 1/2 cups seedless cucumber—1/2 cup finely minced the rest diced
- 2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup plain thick Greek yogurt or more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sherry wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons red onion, finely minced
Place all the ingredients except the minced cucumber and red onion in a blender and puree. Season with salt and pepper, and add sherry wine vinegar to taste. Refrigerate for 8 hours. Garnish with the minced cucumber and onion and serve.
Bean & Chickpea Dip
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 cup cooked Tepary beans or other all-natural white-light brown bean
- 1 cup cooked whole chickpeas (canned is fine)
- 1/3 cup olive oil or more to taste
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup tahini (get a good one, it’s worth it)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoons za’atar
Pass the garlic through a Microplane or fine grater and reserve.
Place the beans, garlic, chickpeas, almost all the oil, half the lemon juice, tahini, cumin and salt in a food processor and blend into a smooth paste. Taste and adjust the salt, oil and lemon as neccesary.
Place in a large bowl, sprinkle with olive oil, parsley, cilantro and zatar. Serve with pita crisps, multi-colored carrot slices, sliced fennel bulbs and finger radishes.
Powered by Facebook Comments