Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 1 leg of lamb, boneless works best.
- 1 very large rock with a flat side or flat section on one face of the stone. The flat side needs to be at least 8 inches across to avoid any mishaps.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 red onions
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 green zucchini
- 2 yellow zucchini
- 1 fennel bulb
- Olive oil for seasoning
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes and their juices (canned is fine)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1/2 lemon, sliced as thin as possible with the seeds removed.
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 6 ounces of Valbreso French Feta or Bulgarian feta
- 10 slices of Italian style baguette, brushed with oil and garlic and grilled.
Go Gourmet on Your Next Camping Trip
For camping trips, I will make the vinaigrette for the mixed veg ahead of time. It keeps for three days very easily and is a great sauce for other grilled poultry or fish when you are looking to shine up a cook out meal.
Servings: 4-6 hungry campers
Let a large campfire burn down to hot coals. Season the lamb with salt and pepper.
Place the rock (river rock works really well) in the middle of the fire (flat side up) and lay the seasoned lamb directly on the hot coals, fat side down. Cook for 4 minutes, turn and cook for 4 minutes more. Place lamb on flat side of rock and allow to cook for 25 to 40 minutes depending on whether or not you like your lamb medium rare or well done.
Let lamb rest off the fire for 10 minutes, slice and serve.
Mixed Grilled Vegetables with Tomato Vinaigrette & Feta
Servings: 8–10 people as a side dish
Slice the eggplant into 1/2-inch thick rings.
Quarter the onions, leaving the stem end intact.
Slice the sides and bottoms off the peppers, so you have attractive ‘flat’ pieces.
Slice the zucchinis at a 45-degree angle into 1/2-inch thick slices.
Discard the fennel tops and slice the bulb into thin slices, leaving the stem end intact.
Brush all the vegetables with the oil, season with salt and pepper and grill over high direct heat for several minutes until just crisp-tender. Season with sea salt and white pepper. Serve with the vinaigrette, sprinkle with the feta and garnish with grilled bread.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a pan. Add the paste and the tomatoes.
Cook, simmering for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the herbs and the pieces of lemon. Simmer for several more minutes.
Reduce heat further to the lowest possible setting and add the remaining oil and the vinegar. Steep/simmer for 15 minutes.
Season with lemon juice to taste, salt and white pepper.
Powered by Facebook Comments