Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 12 each - 2 oz. fillets of fish, such as tilapia, halibut or mahi
- 12 handmade masa tortillas
- 6 quarts vegetable, peanut or canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rice flour
- 2 oz cornstarch
- 1/2 oz. salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups beer, such as Tecate or Sol
- 2 cups mayo
- 2 each canned chipotles en adobo
- 3 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Beer-Battered Fish Tacos
This recipe for crunchy, beer-battered fish tacos comes from Big Star’s Chef de Cuisine Cary Taylor. Topped with a tangy slaw and wrapped in fresh corn tortillas, it’s the ultimate summertime fish fry.
SERVINGS: MAKES 12 TACOS
Mix all slaw ingredients except the cilantro.
Let marinate for 20 minutes before use.
Blend chipotle mayo ingredients in a blender, and set aside.
Heat oil in a cast iron skillet or shallow fryer until the oil reaches 350 degrees.
Season the fish with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, mix dry ingredients for the batter.
Fold in beer, leaving some lumps, being sure not to over mix.
Dip fish in batter and fry until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
Drain fish on paper towels and season with a little more salt.
Place tortillas on a large plate and spoon a little of the chipotle mayo on each tortilla.
Place 1 piece of fish on a tortilla and portion some of the cabbage on top of each top.
Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
Photograph by Edouard Pierre.
Powered by Facebook Comments