Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds kale—stems discarded and leaves thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon brown miso
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted pistachios, chopped
Take a break from the standard kale salad.
I tasted a kale salad made by a monastic order in Detroit once, they were selling it at the farmers’ market there, seemed better than a bake sale if you ask me. The miso dressing was so perfect that I made the salad the next week, using trial and error to approximate what I had tasted from the monks. If you like a sweet aspect to your miso dressing, add a little more sugar or Golden Syrup.
Total Time: 25 min
In a large bowl, toss the kale with the lemon juice and a generous pinch of salt.
In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar with the sesame seeds, miso and sugar. Gradually whisk in the oil. Add the dressing to the kale and toss well. Scatter the scallions and pistachios on top and serve.
Originally published in Andrew Zimmern’s Kitchen Adventures on foodandwine.com.
Photograph by Madeleine Hill.
Powered by Facebook Comments