Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons Madras style curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Several pinches red chile flakes
- 14 ounces canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 3 chopped carrots
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained rinsed and drained again.
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Curry in a Hurry
This Indian-inspired curry is a healthy, meatless main dish that makes for a quick weeknight meal (and great leftovers). Serve with basmati rice and a cool cucumber salad seasoned with mint and lemon juice.
Servings: 3 to 4
Total Time: 40 minutes
Rinse the chickpeas and drain, set aside.
Rinse the spinach and defrost. Squeeze dry and reserve.
Heat a large pan over medium heat.
Add the oil to the pan and swirl once or twice to coat the entire surface.
When the oil ripples and is aromatic, add the ginger, garlic, onion and spices. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the carrots, spinach and chickpeas, stirring to incorporate.
Add the stock and tomatoes, bring to a simmer.
Adjust heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the liquids in the pan have reduced by 75 percent and the ‘sauce’ is tightened, about 20 minutes.
Season with sea salt and a squeeze of fresh lime and serve immediately, garnishing with a dollop of thick yogurt if you like.
NOTE Try upping the stock amount by a cup and throwing in a half cup of lentils for a fun twist on this easy recipe.
Photograph by Madeleine Hill.
Powered by Facebook Comments