Ingredient List Print Recipe
- 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup hazelnut oil
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 cup cream
- 4 heads young frisee, leaves separated, outer dark green leaves discarded for another use
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, really sweet farmers market variety, with as many colors as possible
- 1/2 pound slab of nitrate-free Nueskes cherry wood smoked bacon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
This is one of my favorite salads. It hits the spot any time of year, but is especially appealing when local tomatoes are in season. The sweet-savory candied bacon and ripe cherry tomatoes offer a great flavor contrast to the bitter frisee and tart vinaigrette. Everyone should have this classic salad dressing in their repertoire, it’s a sure crowd-pleaser.
Servings: 6 as a salad course
Make the Vinaigrette
Whisk together the mustard and vinegar. Add the oils, blending well and then blend in the cream.
Adjust for seasoning and reserve.
Candy the Bacon
Cut the bacon into 1-inch strips.
Slowly brown in a large skillet over medium heat. When beginning to crisp and rendered, pour off the fat.
Put pan back on heat, add sugar and toss until caramelized. Spill out onto a no-stick tray.
Toss the frisee greens in a bowl with enough sauce to cover well.
Divide onto the plates.
Garnish with ground pepper, the tomatoes, chives and the warm bacon.
Powered by Facebook Comments